Is Honesty The Best Policy When It Comes To Money And Relationships?
Is Honesty The Best Policy When It Comes To Money And Relationships?
March 31,2019
Relationship
It depends. Everyone has their own version of the truth.
For example, my brother might think the woman I set him up with on a date is not intelligent or attractive despite me telling him she was both.
Why? Because to me she knows a lot about what I am interested in and she fits my ideal of beauty.
But he is not interested in what I am nor are his standards of beauty the same as mine.
So my "honest truth" is she's wonderful and his truth is she isn't.
Many people end up hurting others by claiming to "just telling the honest truth."
So honesty must be defined as concrete truths and not opinions.
Telling your spouse how much money you won or lost at the casino is a concrete truth. It's not an opinion, it's a fact.
Telling her that she is getting fat is an opinion. Although I know there is a point where the extra weight can be health threatening, for my purposes I am suggesting 10-20lbs.
Sometimes "mis truths" as telling someone their baby is adorable when it isn't is a "kind untruth."
It is said so as to not hurt a friend for no good reason.
Lies between couples are one of the main reasons for discord in marriages.
Many people want to avoid the perceived conflict they believe will result if they are honest.
women say, and I agree, that when their husband or boyfriend lies to them about something that she wouldn't be happy about, the LIE becomes the more important thing than the thing that was lied about.
And that is because those women then wonder what else he has lied about. This applies to men that find women are lying too.
So "Honesty" can be in the eye of the beholder.
But still it's best for you to be honest about what you would want your partner to be honest about with you.
Comments
Post a Comment